Sunday, September 25, 2011

Skulduggery

 
Just a little pre-Halloween skulduggery. Call it, amusing myself to death.

And whereas those of us who do not work in multi-media might be wondering what this is all about, I can sum it up in one word, practice.

What sticks things together and what doesn't. What preserves and what doesn't. In other words, what works and what doesn't.

If you look at the example here, you'll note that the plastic coating I am using discolours certain sections. It does not work on plain white, for instance, and it is hell on the brightly coloured areas. I suspected that this might be the case as I used the wrong material. What I thought was fine sand turned out to be fine wax, like a crumbly dust, something used for candle-making; not reading the label carefully resulted in this mistake.

I shall be scraping it off or covering it over with something else. But isn't this how we learn, how we become more proficient? Through trial and error.

I am reminded of a phrase that is often repeated to people who are keen to make changes in their lives:

If  you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

This is a hard lesson to learn but we need to learn it if we are to accomplish what we must.

No comments: