Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Painting and Poem (International Award Winning Poem)

Blown Away. oil on canvas. 14 x 18 inches. Jan 2012. Price: $500

artist - Patrick John Mills


I wrote this poem in 1994. I was very lucky to have it published, won several prizes, got some money. It was selected as one of The Best Poems of the 1990's by The International Society of Poetry - The Library of Congress in Washington DC. I received a Silver Award or something. It was a long time ago. The poem is far from being my favorite work. But I felt it relates to the painting I completed two days ago. So I wished to share the painting along side the painting.


I have never really taken poetry too seriously. With so many spelling mistakes. And with such a hard time reading books.. .the words move around a lot.


I love words. I really enjoy the basic, simple, direct expression of words. Painting is for the eyes. Words are for the mind. Art is for the Soul.




Does she rip the skin off the animal

Does she eat the flesh off the livin' creator

Does she hear the rain drops

Do her fingers smoothen out the ruffles in her dress

Does her heart fill your glass with wine

Does she electrify you

Does it feel like she is trying to crucify you

Do you feel like you want to die by her side

Doe you want to climb inside

Does she cry at the birth of day

Des she resurrect your dreams

Is she one by day

and two by night

Is her hair blowin' in the wind.



written by Patrick John Mills 1994.


Published in Garden of Life and some other books

Library of Congress ISBN 1-57553-004-2

Received: Editor's Choice Award, - (written Summer 1994)

also won two other Awards.


No comments: