Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Canal - Day Two - March Painting Marathon. Patrick John Mills

March 2nd, 2013.
 
March Painting Marathon 
 
The Canal. oil on canvas. 38 x 78 inches. Price available upon request.
 
 
I wanted to document the process of this canvas.  So I took a few photos of the process. 
 
It snowed a little, and my camera got too cold that it failed to work for a peroid of time. 
 

 
Starting the painting
 

Working on the painting
 

 another stage of working on the painting
 

 working on the painting - process... (close up)
I like to keep the painting moving, loose, free, so that the painting is a painting. 
The forms can move around and movement moves.


 working on the painting - process... (close up) 


  working on the painting - process... (close up)
putting in the transparent pigments to build layers.
 

working on the painting - process - scraping with large palette knife
 
 I took a large drywall palette knife to scrap the painting. 
This helps free up the painting. Removes some of the paint to allow the under layers to breathe more.
I have learnt that you need to destroy to create. 
Sometimes you have to crack an egg to give birth to something beautiful.
 

It started to get dark... snow came for a little time.
My camera got too cold.  So I could not take more photos for a while.. .sorry..
.
.
.
 
here is the finished work
photo taken on location
 

The Canal. oil on canvas. 38 x 78 inches. March 2nd (Day Two), 2013.
 

close up of finished painting

close up of finished painting
 

close up of finished painting
 

 close up of finished painting
 

close up of finished painting
 
 
 
 
here is a video taken on location - I take about the painting.
 
Live Love Art
Patrick
 
 

No comments: